Monday, April 20, 2009

I've had enough...

I have had enough. My bills have gotten out of control and they need to be reigned in.

For example, Time Warner is ridiculous. I have a DVR which I love but you can't have basic cable with it. So automatic bump in price. Then we have the boxes for mom's room, my room and living room. We also get Internet but it has to be wireless due to mom's computer. More bump in price. Once a month Jimmy and I get a fight on P.P.V. So last month our bill was $264. That's right, you read it correctly! I am being swindled.

Then I have to have a land line for our security alarm. $57 there. The line is never used.

Our alarm is 24.95 a month. Not to bad that's $24 and $57 for the phone. $81 is a bit much to have an alarm.

So that is $345 a month that could go elsewhere!

My Power/Sewer/water (PWC) bill is $362 a month on the thrift savings plan. That is a tad outrageous! Plus they are the only power company for me to use in this area.


So I have decided things need to change.

1. We are getting rid of Time Warner. Jimmy and I are debating weather we really need cable or dish at all. If we decided to need t.v we will be going to Dish network. It will be about $60 a month.

2. We are switching our Internet over to Embarq Our phone company. So my bill will go up to about $80 a month.

Just these switches will save me $180 a month!!!!

Now our electric bill needs a change. I have been shutting off everything in my path for a month now. I don't care if anyone is in the room or not. Our dryer and dishwasher run on the air dry setting now. The outside security lights are not on anymore. The air conditioner temp is going up to 74-75. Even though I have allergies the windows will be open whenever possible. The heat when it gets cold WILL NOT go above 68. We will just have to use sweaters and the like. I will be searching deals on food and anything else I find. I have used coupons but will only go on double coupon day from now on.

There are many changes that will occur at the Dooty house. So watch out! Be prepared. The change is a comin'! I mean it, this is it.

** If you have any thrift saving ideas. Don't be shy and let me know. All advice will be taken!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I feel the same way. All of these things that we view as "necessities" really aren't and it adds up so quickly! We have Vonage for our phone, but since it's not a land line I had to pay for a unit for the house that will allow us to use the alarm. I don't remember how much it was (maybe $150?) but it paid for itself after a few months of not having a real phone line. Our phone bill is $31 a month (unlimited calling) which is great! They have an even lower price that includes 500 minutes a month.

    We also just have one DVR box for the TV downstairs. Internet + TV with TWC is about $125 month, plus $31 for phone and $25 for alarm. Our PWC bill is lower but of course our house is smaller and we have less people taking showers, being in seperate rooms, etc.

    The only advice I can give there is one you probably won't like...I set our AC to 79 at the absolute lowest!!!! During the day when we are all downstairs I turn off the upstairs AC altogether (although you probably can't do that). I am stingy with my air!! Like you, heat is 68 at the highest when it is cold. Ceiling fans running all the time.

    We also stopped eating out so much, definitely do coupons-stock up on good deals when you see them...there are times when I have so much TP or paper towels that I don't know where to put them all! I try to limit myself to one tank of gas every 9-10 days.

    That's all I can think of for now...I will be back if I can think of anything else. Good luck, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete