Sunday, September 13, 2009

Snake?

I just figured out it has been 2 months since I posted anything. I have been so caught up in life that I haven't had time for any blogging.

Morgan and Noah are in the same class again this year. Wow 5th grade! Who would have thunk it? They love their classroom, friends and teacher. They have a class pet named Carrot. Can you guess what it is? You got it! It's a bunny.

The class recently caught a baby rat snake. Which is now class pet #2. Morgan and Noah can not stop talking about this snake. The kids are coming up on their first intersession for the year. Their teacher asked which kids would be willing to take the snake home with them over vacation. Of course, it goes without saying, my two beautiful and intelligent children volunteer. She luckily tells them to ask their mom before they were sure.

Now snakes are something I usually try and avoid! A friend of mine used to have a rat snake. (She actually has/had many animals.) Her snake, I think it's name was Pinkie, seemed nice. So after much coersion I decided I could hold it. Well, it peed on me. Apparently he didn't fall for my witty charm. But I digress.

I told the kids we will have to ask their father. I mean really do I always have to be the mean one and say no? I had the secret knowledge that Jimmy hates snakes. I felt pretty confident when I told him, in private, about the snake that he would say 'no". Then I could do the motherly thing and say "sorry I would have let you BUT dad said no". Instead of a sane answer he says "sure why not". For a moment I thought he wasn't really the man I loved but some alien that was in a "Jimmy suit". Remember in Men In Black the lady said her husband wasn't himself and it was like he was in an "Edgar suit"?....OK never mind.

Anyway, I am hoping if I stall my answer long enough some other kid will come to school and take the snake home with them. Does this make me a bad mom? Hmmm, let's see. Looking after a 1, 4, 10, and 11 year old, 3 dogs, house, husband and school......sure let's add a snake to the mix. So the ultimate answer is I will post pictures of the snake when it comes to visit for 3 weeks. Why I can never say no, I will never understand.

I promise to start writing more. When of course I can find a moments peace.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I will NOT be holding, touching, petting, or even looking at that snake. Ugh!! You are a better mom than me, I probably would have just started laughing hysterically if Laura ever asked me to pet-sit a snake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...if Jimmy starts drinking the sugar you'd better get everybody out fast!!! (leave the snake...I would have definately said NO in a heartbeat! It would be impossible for me to handle it! I hope the kids appreciate this! It will be a great memory for them I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Claire! I got you to look at the snake! Woohoo

    ReplyDelete